"Cool Hand Ed" is the 8th episode of Season 5 and the 110th episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy. In this episode, the Eds, Jonny 2x4 and Plank, try to escape school early after getting fed up with being there so much.
The bell at Peach Creek Jr. High begins ringing, signaling the beginning of school as the students make their way to their classes. Ed fails to pay attention, Edd is attentive and has his set of organized stationery and Eddy is already bored to tears and struggles to make it through class. The bell rings and they get ready for next period, gym class. Ed naturally handles the fitness stations with ease, while Edd unsurprisingly struggles with them, but Eddy tells them that he's fed up with school and wants to escape. Ed and Edd try to warn him about ditching school during school hours, pointing out that they could get into a lot of trouble for it—Edd even points out that a successful escape during school hours requires very careful planning with flawless execution after Eddy suggests simply making a run for it when the teacher's not looking. Eddy convinces Ed to go along with it by claiming that he'll be able to enjoy his B-Rated Films, comics and his beloved gravy back at home and convinces Edd by telling him that he will not have to partake in gym class, the only subject he dislikes (as well as blackmailing him). Jonny and Plank listen in to their conversation by hiding behind Ed, but Eddy finds them and immediately questions their motives. They reveal that they too are sick of school and wish to escape with them. Eddy refuses, but Plank threatens to snitch on them for revenge for not letting them ditch school, changing Eddy's mind on the matter. Edd tells them to rendezvous at lunch hour, as it's the only time they can freely escape from the school.
At lunch, Ed, Eddy, Jonny and Plank are running around the school collecting various items from the school and students (i.e. Kevin's tracksuit, various cutlery, a trophy, etc.), which is delivered to Edd, who uses the trash they collected to create an airplane that will fly them out of school. Ed, Jonny and Plank are fascinated by Edd's creation, while Eddy celebrates his newfound freedom, but his glee soon sours when Nazz discovers the decoys they've set up and reports their absence to the school. A siren is heard to notify the school of their absence, indicating to The Eds, Jonny and Plank that the school knows that they're missing. Eddy, Ed, Jonny and Plank hurriedly attempt to stage the escape; preparing the plane for takeoff, despite Edd's warning that the plane is still unfinished. Eddy starts the motor and begins to taxiing of the runway, Edd manages to join them by grabbing the tail of the airplane (Kevin's tracksuit) as they leave terra frima, just in the knick of time.
As they begin to gain altitude, the plane suddenly begins to descend, plummeting towards the ground. Edd explains the plane is unable to bear their weight, prompting Eddy to eject Jonny and Plank out of the plane. They regain their altitude, but Edd's jumper gets caught in a tree branch, and is stretched greatly before causing them to get slingshotted back to the school, effectively destroying the plane. The school bell rings and the students leave the school. Eddy blames Edd for their failure, leaving Edd to sarcastically ask Eddy "What was I thinking?" as the episode ends.
- When Edd reveals the aircraft, the sky is blue. Moments later, when the four are looking out at the Cul-de-Sac, the sky is orange (as if the sun is setting).
- When Jonny grabs the utensils from the cup, there are five inside it. Before dropping them onto the ground, he is shown holding seven.
- When the Eds and Jonny take off in the plane, they escape from the backside of the school, across the football field. When they are flung back, however, they hit the front of the school, falling onto the staircase below.
- The nameplate on the teacher's desk reads "Ms. Borroz." This is a reference to Zoë Borroz, a production assistant for the show.
- In the library, a flyer for the reading club says it is run by Mrs. Antonucci. This references series creator, Danny Antonucci.
- The book about bulldogs could be a reference to producer Dan Sioui's bulldog, "Margot".
- When Eddy spies on Jimmy and Sarah in the wood shop, he watches them through a bookshelf. On the shelf, 2 book titles relate to the plot of the episode: "How to Escape" and "Invisibility".
- The author of "How to Escape" is Al B. Gone, a play on the phrase "I'll be gone."
- Another book title worth noting is "Duckies in the Mist." This is a reference to the 1988 movie Gorillas in the Mist.
- Edd creates and places a decoy of himself in the library. Nazz then interacts with the decoy and the head falls off. This could be an allusion to the 1979 film Escape from Alcatraz. Near the end of the film, a guard discovers that three of the inmates had escaped after the head of one of their decoys falls off the bed.
- This is the second time this movie is possibly alluded to. Previously, in "3 Squares and an Ed," a decoy of Ed was used to help him escape from his basement while he was grounded.
- Ed says "A hamburger by any other name would be as cheesy!" This line references a famous William Shakespeare quote from the play Romeo and Juliet.
- This is the second time Ed states that if what he has done has been found out, his sister will tell his mom, his mom will tell his dad, and his dad won't do anything about the situation. Ed first mentions this in "For Your Ed Only."
- Ed says "My name is Ed! Fly me!" This references a controversial 1971 National Airlines ad campaign. In it, a stewardess said "I'm Cheryl. Fly me."
- On Jonny's "Parachute Outfit", an Urban Ranger badge can be seen on his backpack.
- During gym class, Eddy wears the same "62" jersey that was previously worn by Jimmy and Sarah in "Ed... Pass it On..." when they were impersonating Eddy's Brother. It also make another appearance later in Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show, in Eddy's brother's closet. As such, Eddy may have gotten this jersey as a hand-me-down from his brother.
||"Where's the cash?!?" – Eddy|
Please consider downloading this episode of the show in high definition from iTunes in order to support the creators' hard work.